This recipe for a salad of roasted figs, baby greens, and a homemade dressing is a luscious and rich starter, and also makes a great brunch salad!
6-8 large fresh figs
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Ground pepper, to taste
8 cups mixed salad greens
- Snip the tiny stem end off of each fig and cut in half lengthwise.
- Mix the vinegar, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a medium bowl.
- Add figs and gently toss to coat. (Let marinate while you heat your grill)
- Sprinkle a little olive oil on your grill, then, when ready, grill the figs, reserving all of the marinade in the bowl for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until grill marks appear. (Do not overcook as the figs will become too mushy.)
- Remove figs and place on a plate.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper to the reserved marinade, whisking well to completely mix the ingredients.
- Place the greens in a large salad bowl and toss with dressing, then divide among 4 individual serving plates.
- Place the grilled fig halves on each plate of greens and serve.